Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Outside the Tollhouse

It's no secret that I cannot bake. A five course tasting menu for thirty I could prepare- with one hand tied behind my back, eyes blurred over with searing smoke, and recipe printed in Swedish.

I would kill that shit.

But a chocolate chip cookie I cannot bake. I have tried half a dozen recipes over the past year: I have tried chilling the dough prior to cooking, preheating the oven more adequately, using new soda or powder, mixing less, using a wooden spoon rather than the mixer etc etc. There have been recipes that came out too thin, too caramelized (I couldn't remember if I had added white sugar or not, so I added more. Turns out, sugar had been put in the bowl to begin with), too crunchy, and just plain bad.

No one knows why. I mostly think it is God slapping my wrist away from the cookie jar and saying NO, MEGAN, AWAY FROM THE BAKED GOODS.

My heart so longs to bake though and Chris' sweet tooth is about one "I f*cked it up" recipe away from losing all faith in me. So I'm moving away from cookies because a TART, my friends, I can do.

Chocolate Trufle Tarts

Thank you, Tartlette, for the blogging deliciousness you provide.

Chocolate Truffle Tarts:
Makes eight 4-inch tarts

Note: There are many gluten free flours out there that would work with this crust and I just used what I had available in the pantry. Here is a list of gluten free flours from which you can get inspired to try your own concoctions. For a non gf crust, use 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour instead of the 3 gf flours

For the chocolate crust: (adapted from Shauna's pie crust recipe)
1 stick (113gr) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup (60gr) unsifted powdered sugar
3 egg yolks
pinch of salt
1 cup (160gr) white rice flour
1/4 cup (30gr) amaranth flour (you could use sorghum flour)
1/4 (40gr) potato starch
1/4 cup (20gr) unsweetened cocoa powder


For the chocolate truffle filling:
8 ounces (240gr) bittersweet chocolate
12 tablespoons (170gr) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 (50gr)cup sugar
1/4 cup (60ml) strong brewed coffee
4 large eggs

For the chocolate ganache:
4 ounces (120gr) bittersweet chocolate
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature

Prepare the crust:
In a mixer, whip together the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and pinch of salt and mix until incorporated. Add the three different flours and cocoa pwder and mix briefly. Dump the whole mixture onto a lightly floured (use more rice flour) board and gather the dough into a smooth ball. Do not work the dough while in the mixer or it will toughen it up. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
Preheat oven to 350F and position a rack in the center. Place eight tart rings on a parchment lined baking sheet and set aside.
When the dough is nice and cold, roll it out on a lightly floured board or in between two sheets of plastic. Cut out eight 6-inch-rounds into the dough and fit them into eight 4-inch tart rings. If the dough tears while you roll or/and transfer into the rings, just patch it with your fingertips. Line the dough with pieces of parchment paper, fill with pie weights or dy beans and par bake for 10 minutes. Remove the weights and parchment paper. Keep the oven at 350F.

Prepare the filling:
Place the chocolate in a medium bowland set aside. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, bring the butter, sugar, and coffee together to a boil over medium. Pour the mixture over the chocolate and leave it undisturbed for 2-3 minutes. Gently whisk until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time whisking quickly until the mixture is smooth. Divide the batter evenly among the tart shells and bake for 10 minutes.
Let cool completely.

Prepare the chocolate ganache:
Place the chocolate in a medium bowl and set aside. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, bring the heavy cream to a gentle boil. Pour it over the chocolate and let sit for 2-3 minutes. Whisk until smooth and incorporate the butter at the same time until the ganache is completely smooth. Divide evenly on top of the tarts and smooth out with an offset spatula. Refrigerate until ready to eat.




I will take two. And probably not share with anyone, either. Anything with ganache and you can count me IN! Bon appetite, tart lovers and peace out, pain in the ass chocolate chip cookies!

1 comment:

  1. These are THE BEST chocolate chip cookies I have ever had or made. We call them 24-Hour Cookies because you have to chill them at least 24 hours. It's worth it. Use nice chocolate discs (splurge!) and make them the size between a golf ball and a tennis ball. I use a ice cream scoop. Trust me, next time you want to try, make these.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/091crex.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...